While the Coronavirus (COVID-19) was disrupting everyone’s lives, Palmer Lehman Sandberg worked to achieve a balance – continuing to take care of our clients’ legal needs, while protecting our clients, our employees, and our community (local and nationwide).

As Texas has begun to reopen, Palmer Lehman Sandberg has adjusted accordingly.

  • We are available for in-office meetings, with the following protections in place – while in our building and our office common areas (lobby, elevators, hallways, etc.), visitors must wear face coverings, and maintain social distancing (minimum 6’) as much as possible.
  • We continue telephone and video conferencing in place of face-to-face meetings, for those who prefer it.

As we continue to serve you, we wish everyone safety and good health as together we move forward through these uncertain times.

Please reach out to anyone at our firm via email or phone with any questions or concerns.

Email us

Providing Solutions

When can you request a reduction in alimony?

| Apr 20, 2015 | Divorce |

Divorce can lead to many worries and stress regarding your finances. Many individuals worry about paying alimony or spousal support to their exes. If you have been ordered to pay alimony, you may be worried that you will be required to pay it for a long time. However, that may not be the case.

Reducing your alimony can be a complicated issue. Several factors are considered when you petition to reduce your alimony order. Before you ask for a reduction in your alimony, you should understand the various reasons for reducing alimony.

One reason for asking for a reduction in alimony is if you lose your job or have a substantial loss of income. This likely means you can no longer afford to make your alimony payments. One note to keep in mind is that this only applies for if you were fired or laid off, not if you quit your job in most cases. 

Another reason for requesting a reduction in alimony is if you have another child or suffer a disability. Both of these would change your financial obligations and make it difficult to continue paying your current alimony order.

You can also ask for a reduction in alimony payments if your ex has a change in circumstances. This can include your ex getting a different job that pays more, if he or she moves in with someone else or is remarried.

Every case is unique and several factors will be considered when requesting for a change in alimony. Individuals should consult an attorney to discuss their specific issues to make sure they are able to request a reduction in alimony and what their options are.

Source: FindLaw, “Reasons For Reducing Spousal Support,” Le Trinh, April 14, 2015

FindLaw Network